1. Leadership identifies, and talks about collaboration as a priority to achieving our business goals.
2. When it comes to collaboration within leadership, what statement would best describe the way it is modeled for the organization?
It is clear that our leaders across the organization are working together and from aligned goals
There are pockets of the organization where leaders work together and from aligned goals
Our leaders seem to work in silos, but the goals are aligned
Our leaders seem to work in silos and goals are sometimes misaligned
3. When it comes to innovative and new ways of thinking and working, our leadership group (choose the statement that best fits)
Is at the cutting edge and constantly brings new ideas to the organization
Has an appetite for it, are willing to hear new ideas, and will take an educated risk to test them out
Are willing to hear new ideas, but requires clear evidence and a path towards tangible success instead of taking educated risks
Likes the way things are, tried and true, and are reluctant to hear new ideas
Before answering this next set of questions, first think about how you would describe your organization. What are the words you would use to describe what it is like to work there, to work with others? Keep these in mind as you answer the following questions.
1. Which one of the following best describes your organization's culture?
Getting along with each other is our main priority
Achieving our goals is more of a priority than how we work together
Building trust, gaining alignment, and working together towards a common goal is our priority
2. How are you able to give feedback or ideas on broader company related issues, like process improvements or issues outside your immediate job responsibilities?
There are clearly defined organization forums for providing feedback, a review process, and response loop
There are existing organization forums that are better described as “black holes” for feedback, there is inconsistent review and response to feedback submitted
There are no organization forums, feedback can be provided to direct managers, and it is communicated up the organization
There are no organization forums, feedback can be provided to direct managers, but it may or may not be shared
There are no ways for providing feedback or input, unless it is directly solicited
Mission & Strategies
1. Which of these statements best fits your experience of working towards the mission of the organization
I understand the organization's mission as it relates to working with others and the tasks for which I'm responsible
I understand the organization's mission as it relates to the tasks I am responsible for, but unclear how it requires working with others
Our mission is known internally, but it is more of an outward facing statement that doesn't tie to our work together, or as individuals
Our mission isn't known well internally, and is an outward facing statement
2. How does the organization include employees in strategy building?
That takes place through a collaborative platform and is a continuous process
We have a platform for that but it is not kept up to date
All employees are invited to participate in the strategy building process to provide feedback
Hand-picked employees are invited to participate either before or after the process begins
Leadership develops the strategy, and once agreed to, it is communicated to employees
Structure, Processes, Systems
1. How do you typically identify the right person(s) to collaborate with inside your organization?
Our expert directory is pretty good at identifying people we need for a project or task
We have an expert directory but it's not always that useful
It is best to ask someone I know if they have a recommendation
I ask my manager who I should work with
I ask people who sit near me if they can help
It is difficult to identify the necessary person/people to collaborate with
2. How do employees collaborate together at your organization? Which of these choices best completes the sentence:
Easily without permission from a manager
Easily but it is best to get permission first
Only by making a case for it to a manager
Only if directed by a manager
We don't have many opportunities for collaboration
Employees can't really support a project or collaborate with others outside of their function or geography
Measures & Incentives
1. We are measured and incented based on how we do our work, in addition to what we achieve.
2. When success is achieved in the organization,
Everyone involved in achieving the success is acknowledged and/or rewarded
Everyone involved in achieving the success is acknowledged and/or rewarded, in addition to select individuals who went above and beyond
Only select individuals are acknowledged and/or rewarded when success is achieved, ignoring others who contributed
Acknowledgement and/or reward for success does not frequently happen within the organization
3. Our organization's reward system predominantly,
Rewards people based on how much knowledge they gather or have. In other words, for having and using their particular expertise to accomplish work.
Rewards subject matter experts for broadly disseminating and sharing their knowledge with others